[l2h] dvips version detection + perl warning

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Dec 17 00:55:05 CET 2003

Hi Erling,

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Erling D. Andersen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am not perl hacker at all but in
>
> config.pl

To know how to fix the reg-exp, we need to know how your version
of dvips identifies itself.

Can you reply to this email, including the lines that  dvips
prints when it first starts up.
In a terminal, or DOS window, or whatever, please try:
  dvips --help    or  dvips -help   or  dvips -h
  dvips --version  or   dvips -version  or  dvips -v
or whatever else might reveal the startup message.
Try several, in case the responses are different.

> after the code

Also, the error may not be with the actual version string,
as the regex below should detect any of:
    dvips 5.94a
    DVIPS 5.94A
    dvipsk 5.94a
    dvips(k) 5.94a
and many other similar patterns.

So to check what is happening, can you please add some print lines:

>   foreach $veropt (@tryopts) {
>       my ($stat,$msg,$err) = &get_out_err("$dvips $veropt");
>
>       $msg .= $err || '';

print "\nSTAT:$stat, MSG=$msg";

>       if(!$stat && $msg =~ /(?:^| )dvips(?:\(k\)|k|)\s*(\d+[.]?\d*[A-Z]?)/is) {
>         $version = $1;
print "; VERSION=$version\n";
>         last;
>       }
>     }
>
> I added the line
>
>     $version = '5.94a';

:-)   Yes, that'll work, until you upgrade.  :-)

> which make things work. Of course this is not general hack but it works
> in this case and may work for others as well.
>
> Properly the regular expression above should be modified. But who knows how to do that.

Please try adding the 'print' lines above, and send me the result
when you run  config  again.

> Regards

Thanks for the report,

	Ross Moore