[l2h] double quoation in latex2html

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Apr 8 01:24:08 CEST 2003

Hello Taechul,

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Taechul Lee wrote:

> Hi there
>
> When I put a double quotation mark in emacs, it automatically translate
> into `` ''. After compile, it looks good. However, when I translate it
> html with latex2html, it just put `` '' mark.
>
> Is it natural or I try to find another method to put a quotation mark ?

It is natural, since the "curly quotes" used by Windows do not reside at
a standard location within the ISO-Latin font-encodings.
Instead Windows-encodings place these characters within the "forbidden"
regions of encoding vectors. As a result, they would show as weird
alternative characters on non-Windows platforms (e.g. Macintosh).

Due to this non-standard treatment, LaTeX2HTML is programmed to not use
such characters, though it is possible to overide this.