[l2h] Distfile

Thomas Klausner wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 12:42:55 +0200

Hi!

I'm working on NetBSD pkgsrc, where we have a package for latex2html,
see
	http://www.netbsd.org/packages/textproc/latex2html/README.html

Currently, we're having quite some problems with it: The package
system assumes that there is only one release of a software with a
specific version number (in your case, currently 2002-2), and we have
a checksum in the package system to verify that the download was
successful, and that the user did not get a trojaned version.

It seems to me that you replaced the distribution file for latex2hmtl
on your site multiple times without changing the package name. For us,
this means that we have to find the time to compare the old sources
with the new ones to see if someone hacked your site, and then update
the package; during this, the package won't build for the users from
source, since the checksum computation fails.

For this reason, I'd like to request that, whenever you release a new
version, you make a new distfile name. Just call it 2002-3, 2002-4,
and so on -- version numbers are free :)

Thank you for your consideration.
 Thomas

--
Thomas Klausner - wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at
Main Rule of Usenet:  Never argue with idiots.  They drag you down to