[l2h] more colors in images?

Bruce Miller bruce.miller@nist.gov
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:06:22 -0400

Manuel Carro wrote:

>    Hello.  I am translating to HTML a document which contains a
>couple of scanned pictures.  pstoimg seems to be generating images
>with 8 bit depth only.

I can't address the 8 bit issue, but since you're presumably starting
with raster images, I can suggest an alternative.

The graphic{s|x} packages for l2h now support directly using raster
images (png, gif, jpeg) w/o going through pstoimg. [The conversion
raster->eps->raster can often be pretty lossy, even ignoring the colors,
unless you get the scale _just_ right.]

So if you convert your scanned image to both scanned.eps and scanned.jpeg
(for example), then use
  \usepackage{graphicx}
  \includegraphics{scanned}
Regular LaTeX runs will use scanned.eps, but l2h will use scanned.jpeg

bruce