[l2h] Adjusting itemize row spacing

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 16:46:57 +1000 (EST)

> I would like to adjust the spacing between items in the itemize
> environment. I read on a latex list that the way to do this was to
> adjust the \itemsep length just after the \begin{itemize} statement:

\itemsep is not interpreted by LaTeX2HTML, since there is nothing
corresponding to it in the HTML specs.

The simplest way to get extra space after an \item
is to leave a blank line after the item's contents,
before the next \item.
LaTeX will ignore this extra space, but LaTeX2HTML
interprets it as a new paragraph, so puts an unclosed <P> tag.
(This remains valid HTML.)

> \documentclass[10pt,oneside]{article}
> \usepackage{html,htmllist,color,makeidx,epsfig}
>
> \begin{document}
>  \begin{itemize} \addtolength{\itemsep}{0.5\baselineskip}
>   \item Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
>   \begin{itemize}
>     \item \htmladdnormallink{General information}
>        {http://www.gradschool.cornell.edu/grad/fields_1/oper-res.html}
>     \item \htmladdnormallink{Degree Requirements}{/~kathy/phd/phdreq.html}
>     \item \htmladdnormallink{How to apply for a Ph.D. in Operations
> Research }{/
> ~kathy/phd/phd4.html}
>   \end{itemize}
> \item Master of Engineering (M. Eng.)
> \end{itemize}
> \end{document}
>
> This works for latex, but makes no difference in latex2html.  I am using:
>
> E:\LATEX>latex2html -v
> This is LaTeX2HTML Version 2002-1 (1.69)
> by Nikos Drakos, Computer Based Learning Unit, University of Leeds.
>
> Related to this, I would like to change the the appearance of the itemize
> levels to be \Large in the first level and italicized on the second level.
> How is this accomplished?

One way is to simply apply the styles that you want to the contents
of your \item s, using explicit \textit commands, or pseudo-environments,
such as  {\Large ........  }.

An alternative way would be to use CSS styles.
You can edit the stylesheet that LaTeX2HTML creates when you first
process a job.

HTML is not a rich language for delicate page-layouts.
You must either combine it with CSS, or try a different format, such as PDF.