[l2h] Diff problems with large html generation

Daniel Taupin taupin@lps.u-psud.fr
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 09:11:53 +0100

Dear all (and especially Ross Moore :-)) :
   I usually use latex2html (on Linux) to generate a big set of files
(with frames), namely more than a thousand of screens/files.
   When I want to update my Web site, I have therefore to transfer more
than a thousand files, which a serious risk of interrupted transfer
(transferring 1000 files of approx. 1 kbyte it much longer than
transferring 1 file of 1 Mbyte).

  Therefore, I tried to keep an archive of the previous transfer and
compare the new generated files with the old ones (using diff command)
in order to transfer ONLY the modified files.

  My bask script work fine but too many files are still stated as
different, only because references to images have an html coding of the
form:

   <A NAME="tex2htmlnnnn" HREF=...>

where nnnn is a number (a markup) generated by latex2html, and where
"tex2htmlnnnn" is NOT referred anywhere else. Then, if something has
changed somewhere in the wgole source file, the number nnnn is
different, resulting in a lot of files geind declared as different,
while this is not significant.

  --> Is there a means of, either eliminating NAME="tex2htmlnnnn" in
the image generation, or forcing that name to be dependent of the image
name referred, so that it be independent of changes is other parts of
the sourge LaTeX file?

  Thanks in advance.

   Daniel Taupin, 91400 ORSAY - France
   E-mail= mailto:taupind@wanadoo.fr
   Home/fax: (33)1.60.10.26.44. Rep.: (33)1.60.10.04.13, fax (work)
(33)1.69.15.60.86