[l2h] Re: LaTeX2HTML 2002 (1.67): latin2 option does not work?

Janusz S. Bień jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl
21 Jun 2002 08:58:36 +0200

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002  Ross Moore <ross@ics.mq.edu.au> wrote:

> > Thanks for quick answer.
>
> You're welcome.
>
> > On Thu, 20 Jun 2002  Ross Moore <ross@ics.mq.edu.au> wrote:
> >

> > > to have latin2 as *both* the input encoding and the output encoding.
> > >

> > Isn't this rather confusing? Where is it documented?
>
> The topic is discussed in the LaTeX Web Companion;  Addison-Wesley.

OK, I will read it again.

> The problem is that input-encoding and output-encoding can be
> two quite different things.

[...]

> If you specify just  latin2  then this is taken to be the *input*
> encoding, but the output charset is still  latin1 , as per the HTML specs.

[...]

> If you have any suggests, certainly they'll be considered.

Thanks for long explanation. My main point at present is:

Input encoding is an inherent feature of the input files. This
information is usually expressed explicitely with the option of
`inputenc', sometimes implicitly with `-translate-file=TCXFILE'
command line option.

It makes no sense to overwrite this information with a latex2html
command line option.

It is redundan, unconvenient and error-prone to duplicate the input
encoding information with a latex2html command line option.

So my suggestion is:

latex2hml should recognize the input encoding in the same way as LaTeX
does.  Do you agree, at least in principle?

Best regards

Janusz

--
                     ,