[l2h] latext2html on Mandrake 8.2 - fixed-ish

chris cpage@cs.man.ac.uk
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 14:24:09 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

     This morning I was determined to track down what was causing my
problem with maths image generation. My inspection of the generated
images.tex file last week revealed that the two lines

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{html}

were missing from the start of the file. With this information I looked
through the latex2html file in an attempt to locate where the file was
being generated. In the make_latex subroutine I located the code which
creates the $preamble, specifically the line

$preamble = "\\documentclass{article}.........";
    unless($preamble);

Which comes after a number of $preamble =~ s/...... operations. Comparing
this with the version of latex2html on the solaris box, I found that the
same code works fine on solaris under perl 5.005_03 but on Mandrake 8.2
with perl 5.6.1 $preamble contains a \n so the \\documentclass is
not added...

I could be wrong in my guess, 17k lines of perl take some getting
used to, but I think this is a perl problem rather than a latex2html one.
I don't have time to run more thorough checks how (I have kludge-fixed it
by commenting out the unless and adding a colon at the end of the
assignment) so I can't be sure. I will post another update when I get
chance to track this down a bit better...

Chris