[l2h] General HTML generation questions

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 08:27:39 +1000 (EST)

> Hi all,
>
> I have some questions regarding the general HTML generation.
>
> 1. If I want to use the \HTMLset{target}{\_blank} functionality for
> opening links in a new window, I have to use frames, because the other
> solution does not work on my system. Unfortunately this introduces the
> problem that the background color is set to white in the <body> tag,
> which is bad for me due to automatic use of the generated file. So what
> would be nice if I:
> - either could define the target frame without generating frames. Maybe
> redefine \htmladdnormallink{caption}{url} to
> \htmladdnormallink[target]{caption}{url}
> - or have the option of no background color generated in frame mode.

Please send an example of the coding that you are using.
This could be quite delicate.

> 2. At the end of each page a <hr> is generated, even with the option
> -noaddress. What do you think, doesn't this belong together, regarding
> this option?

Worth a look.
THe final <hr> could be made dependent upon an existing Perl variable.

> 3. Paragraphs have only <P> but not </P>, which would be more compliant
> to well-formed HTML and allow strict browsers to apply CSS for
> paragraphs. Additionally, before a <Hx> tag an additional <P> is
> generated.

This is a *very hard* problem to solve, as LaTeX does not provive explicit
markup for the start/end of paragraphs.

The best solution is to post-process your documents with HTMLtidy.
You can make this automatic by setting an appropriate system command
within the  &post_postprocess  subroutine, or with the
 $HTML_VALIDATOR  variable.
Please experiment and report your results.

> 4. [OT] \ref{foo}: Of course this produces the section number. But
> usually we don't have section numbers in the HTML file. Is there a way
> in LaTeX to have references that are equal to hyperlinks, kind of a
> \textref[the text for the link]{sec:thesection} ?

Use  \htmlref  or  \hyperref   for this.
Always  \usepackage{html}.  Read about these in the manual.

> 5. Version 1.68 does not produce graphics under my Win2k, while 1.67
> does perfectly. Whom should I send output and examples, and what
> information exactly do I need to send, resp. what verbosity to set or
> how to call the image generation script in order to allow
> bug-tracking?

Example please.
If only imported graphics (\includegraphics or \epsfig... )
are affected, then try *removing* the  -E  option from calls to dvips.
Look at the $DVIPS and $DVIPSOPT variables.

> Thanks in advance for any help, I just wanted to ask if someone else has
> already a solution for there problems or they are planned to be solved
> anyway prior to me patching something.

Patch whatever you like and report your results.
If sufficiently useful and correct for all platforms,
they will be included into the code-base.