[l2h] Re: LaTeX2HTML \verb / \verb* problem

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 08:25:04 +1100 (EST)

Hi Logan,

Sorry, I haven't had time to track this one yet.

>     I posted this to the mailing list but got no response.  It seems
> that LaTeX2HTML does not bother to distinguish between \verb and \verb*.
> It performs some sort of internal translation and does not remember
> whether inline verbatim text was associated with a \verb or with a
> \verb*.  When translated back for rendering by latex, it is
> unconditionally translated to the \verb* form, thus marking spaces.

This would only be a problem if the replaced \verb* was to be used
in making an image. Is that what you need?

Normally verbatim is translated to <TT>...</TT> tags,
or to a <PRE>....</PRE> block in HTML.
So to get an image, your \verb...  bits must be inside other
environments that LaTeX2HTML cannot handle directly.
Thus you probably are not getting the best HTML for your
information anyway.

If this is the case, would you please post an example of your document
source, so that I can look at the markup you are using, and then perhaps
suggest an alternative that would work better for your web pages.

That would give you a decent work-around, while I attempt a fix
to the real \verb / \verb* dichotomy.

>     Now, it's easy enough to edit the code so that \verb is used instead
> of \verb*, but the real problem is the lack of choice -- I either must
> always have unmarked spaces, or I must always have marked spaces, and
> neither option is good for me.  How difficult would it be to fix this?

Certainly it's non-trivial, as it means extending a data-structure.
So all uses of that structure need to be found and adjusted accordingly.

A simpler fix may be to scan for all  \verb* sequences before the \verb ones.
Then store the \verb* strings in a different database file to the \verb s.
The code duplication for maintaining the extra files across segmentation
and forked processes should run to about 10 lines, or so, scattered
throughout the latex2html script.