[l2h] grey background for png

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 11:31:57 +1100 (EST)

> Hi,
>
> we are switching from in the image generation from gif to png. It turns
> out that a few math formulas have still a grey background rather than
> transparent one. I have set \pagecolor{white} in the l2hconf.pm. Has
> anyone observed that behaviour or a solution to it ? I tried also to
> generate the transparency by hand, but it did not work (pngtopnm $f |
> pnmtopng -transparent #B2B2B2 > $f).

Yes, it probably *did* work.
The problem is that your *browser* does not understand the method
used to encode transparency into PNG images.

This has been a constant problem since the PNG format was introduced.

So, for a consistent result across all browsers, you need to set
the background colour of your images to that of the page on which
you are going to show them.
This is most unfortunate when you have a multi-colored background image.