[l2h] Install l2h on XP

Daniel Young peacedan@yahoo.com
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 14:58:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I tried to install LaTeX2HTML on Windows XP.

After I did what I could do, I could only get html
files within the directory of installed latex2html;
when I ran latex2html in other directories, I only got
a directory with an empty subdirectory TMP and nothing
else. Even for those html files, some texts cannot be
properly displayed and some tags like <#460#> appear.
Below is how I installed the LaTeX2HTML.

I downloaded latex2html-2002-1.tar.gz from CTAN and
unzip it to C:\Download\latex2html-2002-1. Because I
feel the README and INSTALL are a little bit hard to
follow and I am using MiK-TeX, I used the instructions
on http://www.mayer.dial.pipex.com/l2h.htm.

I believe I exactly followed the instructions and
change the $path environment variable, except changing
the some paths according to my original setting of
MiK-TeX. The problem is when I tried the test.bat,
there is no pstoimg.bat to check. I put the results of
configuration below:

Starting Configuration...

config.pl, Release 2002-1 (Revision 1.46)
Accompanies LaTeX2HTML, (C) 1999 GNU Public License.

checking for old config file (cfgcache.pm)... not
found (ok)
checking for platform... MSWin32 (Windows 32 bit)
checking for c:\Perl\bin\perl.exe...
c:\Perl\bin\perl.exe
checking perl version... 5.006001
checking if perl supports some dbm... yes
checking if perl globbing works... yes
checking for tex... C:\Program
Files\texmf\miktex\bin\tex.exe
checking for latex... C:\Program
Files\texmf\miktex\bin\latex.exe
checking for initex... C:\Program
Files\texmf\miktex\bin\initex.exe
checking for kpsewhich... C:\Program
Files\texmf\miktex\bin\kpsewhich.exe
checking for kpsewhich syntax... no, from which planet
is your kpsewhich?
checking for TeX include path... NONE
Warning: Will not automatically install LaTeX2HTML
style files.
checking for dvips... C:\Program
Files\texmf\miktex\bin\dvips.exe
checking dvips version... no
Error: could not determine dvips version
Warning: Will not be able to generate images due to
above failure.
checking for html4-check... no
checking for gswin32c... c:\program
files\ghostgum\gs\gs7.03\bin\gswin32c.exe
Error: could not execute c:\program
files\ghostgum\gs\gs7.03\bin\gswin32c.exe
Warning: Will not be able to generate images due to
above failure.
checking for pnmflip... \Program
Files\ghostgum\netpbm\bin\pnmflip.exe
checking for ppmquant... \Program
Files\ghostgum\netpbm\bin\ppmquant.exe
checking for pnmfile... \Program
Files\ghostgum\netpbm\bin\pnmfile.exe
checking for pnmcat... \Program
Files\ghostgum\netpbm\bin\pnmcat.exe
checking for pbmmake... \Program
Files\ghostgum\netpbm\bin\pbmmake.exe
checking for ppmtogif... \Program
Files\ghostgum\netpbm\bin\ppmtogif.exe
checking for pnmtopng... \Program
Files\ghostgum\netpbm\bin\pnmtopng.exe
checking for ppmtojpeg... no
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or
string at config\config.pl line 2388.
Warning: You cannot directly translate/modify graphics
of  format.
checking for pnmcut... \Program
Files\ghostgum\netpbm\bin\pnmcut.exe
checking for pnmpad... \Program
Files\ghostgum\netpbm\bin\pnmpad.exe
checking for pnmrotate... \Program
Files\ghostgum\netpbm\bin\pnmrotate.exe
checking for pnmscale... \Program
Files\ghostgum\netpbm\bin\pnmscale.exe
checking for giftopnm... \Program
Files\ghostgum\netpbm\bin\giftopnm.exe
checking for jpegtopnm... \Program
Files\ghostgum\netpbm\bin\jpegtopnm.exe
checking for pngtopnm... C:\Program
Files\texmf\miktex\bin\pngtopnm.exe
checking for tifftopnm... C:\Program
Files\texmf\miktex\bin\tifftopnm.exe
checking for picttoppm... \Program
Files\ghostgum\netpbm\bin\picttoppm.exe
checking for anytopnm... no
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or
string at config\config.pl line 2388.
Warning: You cannot directly translate/modify graphics
of  format.
checking for bmptoppm... no
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or
string at config\config.pl line 2388.
Warning: You cannot directly translate/modify graphics
of  format.
checking for pcxtoppm... C:\Program
Files\texmf\miktex\bin\pcxtoppm.exe
checking for sgitopnm... \Program
Files\ghostgum\netpbm\bin\sgitopnm.exe
checking for xbmtopbm... \Program
Files\ghostgum\netpbm\bin\xbmtopbm.exe
checking for xwdtopnm... \Program
Files\ghostgum\netpbm\bin\xwdtopnm.exe
checking if multiple pipes work... no
Unfortunately multiple pipes are not reliable on this
OS.
checking for temporary disk space...
C:\DOCUME~1\DANIEL~1\LOCALS~1\Temp
creating cfgcache.pm
creating test.bat
creating install.bat
Note: Will install...
      ... executables to   : C:\latex2html\bin
      ... shared library items to : C:\latex2html
      ... unshared library items to : C:\latex2html
Starting build...
... building latex2html
build.pl (Revision 1.6)
Building "latex2html.bat" from "latex2html.pin"
... building pstoimg
build.pl (Revision 1.6)
config\build.pl: Warning: Skipping build of pstoimg
because of missing external programs.
... building texexpand
build.pl (Revision 1.6)
Building "texexpand.bat" from "texexpand.pin"
... building configuration module
build.pl (Revision 1.6)
Building "l2hconf.pm" from "l2hconf.pin"
Configuration procedure finished

The results did suggest skipping building pstoimg, but
what are those missing external programs since I
follow the instructions.

There are also several other error messages regarding
to gswin32c (which is executable by double click the
icon) and the version of dvips (which is "This is
dvips(k) 5.86 Copyright 1999 Radical Eye Software
(www.radicaleye.com)"). Why the config.bat cannot
recognize them and how do I fix these problems?

Thanks. - Daniel