[l2h] Install LaTeX2HTML on Windows XP

Daniel Young peacedan@yahoo.com
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 15:02:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I tried to install LaTeX2HTML on my Windows XP, but
could not work it out.

I downloaded latex2html-2002-1.tar.gz from CTAN and
unzip it to C:\Download\latex2html-2002-1. I looked up
on the mailing list archive and I followed the
instructions on
http://www.mayer.dial.pipex.com/l2h.htm
because I also use MiK-TeX and the MiK-TeX has worked
well so far before I tried to install LaTeX2HTML.

So I installed Perl and Netpbm, and edited prefs.pm as
suggested. Maybe the problem is that I installed
Mik-TeX under Program File directory and config.bat
seemed to have trouble to get the version number of
dvips (which is 5.86). It says unknown version number.
I manually add it in config/config.pl in the DVIPS
session:
my $version = '5.86';
I re-ran config.bat and this seemed to be fixed. I got
same information in the log file as in the above
instruction, except a few more lines with warning
message:

checking for ppmtojpeg... no
Warning: You cannot directly translate/modify graphics
of  format.
checking for pnmcut... \texfiles\netpbm\bin\pnmcut.exe
checking for pnmpad... \texfiles\netpbm\bin\pnmpad.exe
checking for pnmrotate...
\texfiles\netpbm\bin\pnmrotate.exe
checking for pnmscale...
\texfiles\netpbm\bin\pnmscale.exe
checking for giftopnm...
\texfiles\netpbm\bin\giftopnm.exe
checking for jpegtopnm...
\texfiles\netpbm\bin\jpegtopnm.exe
checking for pngtopnm... C:\Program
Files\texmf\miktex\bin\pngtopnm.exe
checking for tifftopnm... C:\Program
Files\texmf\miktex\bin\tifftopnm.exe
checking for picttoppm...
\texfiles\netpbm\bin\picttoppm.exe
checking for anytopnm... no
Warning: You cannot directly translate/modify graphics
of  format.
checking for bmptoppm... no
Warning: You cannot directly translate/modify graphics
of  format.
checking for pcxtoppm... C:\Program
Files\texmf\miktex\bin\pcxtoppm.exe
checking for sgitopnm...
\texfiles\netpbm\bin\sgitopnm.exe
checking for xbmtopbm...
\texfiles\netpbm\bin\xbmtopbm.exe
checking for xwdtopnm...
\texfiles\netpbm\bin\xwdtopnm.exe

Then endless problems came. First of all I never ran
test.bat correctly. The main problem is that images
cannot be created. I checked the subdirectory of
l2htest/; there was only images.tex, no images.log
created by latex. I ran images.tex by command latex
manually, created images.log and re-ran latex2html.
Now the problem was more clear: there were no images
created--CSS style with those NEXT/CONTENT icons
appeared, but no equations and images. I looked up the
manual and tried my best to look for the images
everywhere possible, but found nothing.

I just tried the next step for curiosity, since I had
no way to successfully ran test.bat. I installed
LaTeX2HTML, added latex2html.bat to $PATH, moved files
under TEXTINPUT/ and edited l2hconf.pm. However, I
still could only correctly ran latex2html in the
installed directory and the unzipped temporary
directory. If I ran it anywhere else, I got the error
message:

texexpand V2002-1 (Revision 1.11)

texexpand: Error: More than one input file specified.
 texexpand  failed: No such file or directory

Did I forget to configure something above? Or I
couldn't run latex2html under other directories such
as My Document? Were all these problems caused by
manually adding the version number of dvips?

Thanks. - Daniel