[l2h] Re: virus alert: avoid the previous posting

kaja@daimi.au.dk kaja@daimi.au.dk
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 14:12:29 +0200

Hi Ross,

>In case you haven't realised already,
>the message that arrived earlier today, with subject:
>
>     [l2h]  a powful tool
>
>most probably contains a virus; so be careful with it.
>It was rejected by the mail-scanner at my university's site, with a
>message to say that a virus had been removed from it.

[...]

>Also, I'll suggest that extra filtering software be installed
>on  tug.org  for protection of all its email lists.

  I set up mail filtering on tug.org 2 weeks ago :-) When I checked
today to see how
many virus infected messages have been blocked since then, I found no
less then 175;
two of these, identical to the message above, were sent to other
lists and blocked.
Three messages sent to  latex2html list (with different text but the
same virus -
see below) were  blocked as well.

However, I cannot find any evidence that the message above nor the
'charlie' message were
actually sent to the list in their original form. Very strange. Could
the person administrating
mail-scanenr at your site look into this?

Cheers
Kaja

Time:    Mon Apr 22  6:33:52 2002