[l2h] Bug report

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 13:16:55 +1000 (EST)

> Hi,
>
> When using texexpand I got
>
> texexpand V2002 (Revision 1.11)
> Use of uninitialized value in array dereference at c:\local\latex2html\bin/texexpand.bat line 448
>
> I do not know if that is significant.

It should not be significant; but yes, it would be annoying.

I don't have easy access to  texexpand.bat , since I don't use Windows or DOS.
It isn't a standard part of the distribution, but gets created by the
installation script; so I cannot tell what the exact coding is, at line 448.
However, in  texexpand.pin  the coding near line 448 is:

#FP: Web2C does not use @texinputs at all
# moreover, it uses kpsewhich to find files, so no need to
# bother with @texinputs
    # $Web2C = &find_executable('kpsewhich',$ENV{'PATH'});

This latter line may well be un-commented in  texexpand.bat , in which case
strict checking may well object to $Web2C being uninitialised.
Simply put the following before it:

 my $Web2C = '';

Alternatively, it may be the  $ENV{'PATH'} that causes the message.
If that's the problem, try instead:

my $Web2C = '';
if (defined($ENV{'PATH'})) {
    $Web2C = &find_executable('kpsewhich',$ENV{'PATH'})
}

Of course, if the coding at line 448 is something else, then please
send me what that line is, so I can correlate it with  texexpand.pin .

On the other hand, I'm not convinced that using  kpsewhich  is a good idea.
(This is why that line is commented in  texexpand.pin .)
It is possible that using  kpsewhich  can result in unwanted input files being
included within LaTeX2HTML jobs; though I don't have any examples of this effect.