[l2h] latex2html-2002: a comment

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe@math.utah.edu
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 12:29:06 -0600 (MDT)

Builds and installations of latex2html-2002 went smoothly on 16+
flavors of UNIX at my local site.  Kudos to the latex2html developers
for superbly smooth installation procedure!

However, there is one change that should be made in future releases to
conform to GNU standards, conserve disk space, and facilitate local
updates: the installation library directory should be

	$(prefix)/share/lib/latex2html

instead of the current choice of

	$(prefix)/lib/latex2html

The GNU convention is that library files go into $(prefix)/lib/PACKAGE
if they are O/S specific, and into $(prefix)/share/lib/PACKAGE if they
are O/S-independent, as is the case for latex2html: all of its library
files are either perl files, or TeXware files, or PostScript files.
At my site, more than a dozen architectures share the /usr/local/share
tree, so upwards of 50MB could be saved by that simple change.

- Center for Scientific Computing       FAX: +1 801 585 1640, +1 801 581 4148 -
- University of Utah                    Internet e-mail: beebe@math.utah.edu  -
- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB        beebe@acm.org  beebe@computer.org -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       beebe@ieee.org                    -
- Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0090, USA    URL: http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe  -