[l2h] star versions of chapter (etc) in TOC

Scot Woodward scot_woodward@yahoo.com
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 10:11:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi

Going over the archives, I've seen that this issue has been mentioned
once before in passing, but I thought I'd raise it again.  The star
versions of chapter, section, and subsection (chapter*, section*, and
subsection*) are getting into the TOC, despite any value of TOC_STARS.

Here's a sample document which you can translate:

--- and so it begins ---
\documentclass{book}

\begin{document}

\tableofcontents

\chapter{Chapter}                This is a Chapter.
  \section{Section}              This is a Section.
    \subsection{SubSection}      This is a SubSection.
\chapter{Chapter}                This is a Chapter.
  \section{Section}              This is a Section.
    \subsection*{SubSectionStar} This is a SubSectionStar.
\chapter{Chapter}                This is a Chapter.
  \section*{SectionStar}         This is a SectionStar.
    \subsection{SubSection}      This is a SubSection.
\chapter{Chapter}                This is a Chapter.
  \section*{SectionStar}         This is a SectionStar.
    \subsection*{SubSectionStar} This is a SubSectionStar.
\chapter*{ChapterStar}           This is a ChapterStar.
  \section{Section}              This is a Section.
    \subsection{SubSection}      This is a SubSection.
\chapter*{ChapterStar}           This is a ChapterStar.
  \section{Section}              This is a Section.
    \subsection*{SubSectionStar} This is a SubSectionStar.
\chapter*{ChapterStar}           This is a ChapterStar.
  \section*{SectionStar}         This is a SectionStar.
    \subsection{SubSection}      This is a SubSection.
\chapter*{ChapterStar}           This is a ChapterStar.
  \section*{SectionStar}         This is a SectionStar.
    \subsection*{SubSectionStar} This is a SubSectionStar.

\end{document}
--- this is how it ends ---

I included lots of weird combinations so that it would be a good
test case.  Normal LaTeX produces a TOC like the following:

1 Chapter
  1.1 Section
      1.1.1 Subsection

2 Chapter
  2.1 Section

3 Chapter
      3.0.1 Subsection

4 Chapter
  4.1 Section
      4.1.1 Subsection
  4.2 Section
      4.2.1 Subsection

...which itself is pretty weird.  Chapter 4 pulls in non-star stuff
from the following ChapterStars, and the Section in the sixth block
pulls in the SubSection from the seventh block.

The document I'm working on doesn't have anything that is nearly this
pathological, though.  There are no non-stars underneath stars.  If
that would work as in LaTeX, then that would be good enough for me.

Has anybody been looking at this issue?  I'll try tackling it myself,
but I wouldn't count on my ability to fix it.  My knowledge of Perl
is pretty minimal.

Thanks for listening.
SW