[l2h] Re: latex2html digest, Vol 1 #181 - 3 msgs

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 08:05:22 +1100 (EST)

> On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 22:29:43 +1100 (EST) Ross Moore <ross@ics.mq.edu.au> wrote:
>
> > It may be that only 4 people were affected.
>
> Ross,
>
> No, I suspect there were plenty more.  I certainly was too.
>
> I also tried to unsubscribe from the list and could not because control of
> the list seems to be moved to a web site now.  Is there no email-based way
> to control the list for us users?

Sure there is.
Every message from the list contains the info:

Just email any message to the address given as  List-Unsubscribe .
Of course, you have to make sure that you are sending with
email address corresponding to that which is known to the list.
So if it knows an old address that is .forwarding from a different
machine, or using a mail alias, then this method may not work.

Then you can ask me to do the unsubscribe; but **please** tell me
the address to which the list is sending, else I may not be able to
find you easily.

> Here is what I got when trying the usual majordomo commands according to
> the original instructions I received for this list:
>
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 08:28:01 +0100 (CET) latex2html-admin@tug.org wrote:
>
> > Most of the administrative features, including "unsubscribe" can be
> > done yourself.

> > "Existing Subscribers" section. Fill in the field with your email
> > address; if you have several, then the required address is the one
> > that this list uses to send you mail.

Yes; this is one way to do it.
Indeed, it lets you stop receiving email, yet still stay on the list.

This is what I do when there are problems with delivery.
The name and user-preferences can remain; and the user can later log-in
and restore the service themselves, after the difficulty has been cleared.

> > If you do not know the password, which is required for changing
> > options, then click the button to have it mailed to you.

Again, this only works when you know the address that the list is using
to send your mail. If this is not your normal address, then you can get
it from any message that you have received.