[l2h] Latex2HTML and Cygwin

A. Steenveld a.steenveld@ids.kun.nl
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 18:38:10 +0200

Hi,

I would like to report a problem between LaTeX2HTML and Cygwin.
(FYI Cygwin is a *nix environment for Win32, see http://www.cygwin.com for more details.)

LaTeX2HTML and Cygwin do not go together very well if the latter is installed with default settings. There are problems with the perl version that comes with Cygwin. LaTeX2HTML can not detect the propper paths to files due to a mixing of path seperators (\ and-or /).
An enhansemend of L2hos.pl looks in place. This is what I detected after tampering a bit with it.

Some lines of code from L2hos.pl
:    } elsif ($OS eq 'MSWin32') {
:        print "L2hos: detected MSwin32! ($OS)\n";
:        require L2hos::Win32;
:        'L2hos::Win32'
:    } elsif ($OS =~ /(win|dos)/i) {
:        print "L2hos: detected win/dos! ($OS)\n";
:        require L2hos::Dos;
:        'L2hos::Dos'

And these are the results running with Cygwin perl.

latex2html -split 0 hthtml.tex
L2hos: detected win/dos! (cygwin)
This is LaTeX2HTML Version 2K.1beta (1.47)
by Nikos Drakos, Computer Based Learning Unit, University of Leeds.

While it should detect a Win32 system (Win95 here).

The workaround I used was to uninstall Cygwin perl and to install ActivePerl for windows. All is working fine now but should extending L2hos.pl not be a better option? Or should detecting Cygwin not be an indication to issue a warning?

Kind regards,

André Steenveld.

PS: I'm not following the developments on LaTeX2HTML, I'm just happy with the version I have! Due to a system upgrade I had to reinstall the whole lot, LaTeX2HTML, MiKTeX, Cygwin (and more ;-)
Just wanted to report my findings.