[l2h] bug on sectionstar command?

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 11:43:12 +1100 (EST)

> Hi,
>
> installed latex2html-Version 2K.1beta (1.47) on Redhat 7.1
>
> I have a problem with a very simple section{}, and section*{} command.
> Something with the dbm...
>
> the test file which gets the bug is:
>
> \documentclass[11pt]{article}
> \usepackage{html,hthtml}
> \usepackage{epsfig,color,amsmath,amssymb}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \latexhtml{\section{Introduction}}{\section*{Welcome!!}}

No. You cannot do this kind of conditional coding with LaTeX2HTML,
for something as fundamental to the document structure as \section.

\latexhtml is really only useful for alternate text.
Anything structural needs to be handle at a different stage of the
processing to when  \latexhtml  gets processed.

The following is OK --- well, sort of:

%begin{latexonly}
 \section{Introduction}
%end{latexonly}
\begin{htmlonly}
 \section*{Welcome!!}
\end{htmlonly}

 ...but you may still have problems with section-numbering
if you do this.

> \section{ Extended Systems and Pattern Formation\label{exte}}
> \htlink{Visual Models of Morphogenesis: A Guided
> Tour}{http://www.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/projects/bmv/vmm/title.html}
>
> \end{document}

> *** Translating environments ***.par
> *** Translating commands ***
> *** Translations done ***.sectionstarndbm store returned -1, errno 22,
> key "" at /usr/bin/latex2html line 10653.

I'm surprised that there wasn't an error before this.

> If I run without longtitles, everything is ok. I used a previous version
> and worked fine.

Interesting; indeed surprising that it ever worked.
This is worth investigating further.