[l2h] Re: LaTeX2html installation problem, pnmtogif

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 08:44:14 +1000 (EST)

> Hi Ross
>
> It's me again with another thing I like to ask you, this time about the
> installation of L2H.  During the 'configure' run and the checking of the
> needed netpbm tools I'm getting an error mesage from the checking of
> pnmtogif (i hope that's the right name) that states that it didn't get the
> expected output during 'checking for transparent images' and therefore I
> can't get L2H to create gif images at all.

This is because the  config.pl  script of LaTeX2HTML needs to be
updated to detect versions 9.x of  Netpbm.
The help/version options of Netpbm 9.x are quite different to the old 1994
version of  netpbm .

> What can I do in netpbm 9.11, that I compile right before installing L2H,
> so that this will work?

Do not attempt to change  Netpbm  at all.

Instead, you can do this part of the installation by hand.

Simply place the full path to the appropriate utilities
into  pstoimg.pin before you start:
e.g.

    my $PPMTOGIF = '@PPMTOGIF@';
                    ^^^^^^^^^^ <<<----  replace this.
OR
   make a corresponding replacement  to  pstoimg  *after*
   the installation script has run.

> I only created/compiled those 5 or 6 netpbm tools needed for L2H.

There could be similar edits required for these too.