[l2h] 2K.1beta(1.55) bug reports, workarounds, and fixes

Julius Smith jos@w3k.org
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 17:49:00 -0700

This email is to document various headbutts encountered in upgrading from
LaTeX2HTML Version 99.2beta6 (1.42) to
LaTeX2HTML Version 2K.1beta (1.55).

1. All HTML images suddenly had black bars on the left and bottom.  Thanks
to the warning in the installation script, I upgraded the netpbm package
(pnmcrop et al.) and this was fixed.

2. Many images failed to convert because of null optional arguments to
\includegraphics in images.tex, e.g.,

         \includegraphics[]{eps/file.eps}

Searching for "includegraphics" in saved latex2html@tug.org email indicated
I should replace
	\usepackage[dvips]{graphics}
with
	\usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}

or else revert to an older version of styles/graphics.perl.
Either workaround worked for me.  I'm now using graphicx.

3. The following construct in latex

	\[
	\begin{tabular}{|l|l|}
	\end{tabular}
	\]

now produces an enormous right-shift of the table in the HTML (maybe 15 or
so inches to the right).  Changing the source to

	\begin{quote}
	\begin{tabular}{|l|l|}
	\end{tabular}
	\end{quote}

works around this problem.

4. In the HTML table-of-contents, all of my sections became subsections.  I
checked that I am using article.cls, as opposed to a book.cls.  The title
of the first "section" is blank, and all article sections appear under that
as subsections until the bibliography, which is a new section, as is the
index, and as is "about this document".  I traced this problem to the
function &set_depth_levels().  In one of my include files, I had defined
the macro

	\newcommand{\kchapter}[3]{\chapter{#3}\chlabel{#1}\index{#2|textbf}}

The occurrence of "\chapter[^a-zA-Z]" in the macro definition satisfied the
match criterion in $delimiter_rx, and so it was concluded that I was using
chapters, even though this macro was NEVER INVOKED in my source.  My
workaround for now is to get by without this macro.  However, someone
should figure out how to prevent mere macro definition bodies from being
interpreted as document text.

5. A workaround for an l2h/Perl interaction problem that I tracked down and
reported earlier (Perl 5.6.0 bombs on a null hash key) was never installed
by anyone in the release version (was I supposed to do that?), so I had to
install the workaround (fix?) again.  Here are the diffs:

 > diff -cb latex2html.0 latex2html
*** latex2html.0	Wed Jul 25 17:27:18 2001
--- latex2html	Thu Jul 26 14:04:31 2001
***************
*** 10663,10669 ****
   	    $TITLE = $_
   	} else { $TITLE = '.' };
       };
!     $global{$key}-- if $making_name;
       return ($TITLE) if (defined $title);

--- 10663,10669 ----
   	    $TITLE = $_
   	} else { $TITLE = '.' };
       };
!     $global{$key}-- if ($key && $making_name);
       return ($TITLE) if (defined $title);