[l2h] Absolute pathes???

Christopher Forbes Chris.Forbes@acunia.com
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:12:39 +0200

--------------2AFC5F45B46123AC56E9E7A4

Ross,

I had thought of something like:

%begin{latexonly}
 \includegraphics{../whatever.jpg}
%end{latexonly}
\begin{htmlonly}
 \htmladdimg{<path>/whatever.jpg}
\end{htmlonly}

this will likely work...

However, a point of interest, oddly enough with
l2h-2000-beta I didn't include the `dvips' package
or call it in the \documentclass[ ] statement.  This
results in none of my JPG being converted to PS...
the resulting HTML files simply include (link)
to the JPGs as is.

Regards and thanks for your responce,
chris.forbes

Ross Moore wrote:

> > People,
> >
> > I have encountered a similar problem.
> >
> > Currently I use `LaTeX' and `latex2html' to provide user documentation
> > on a CDROM, browsable html documnets and printable pdf documents.
> > However, when I include a jpg file in my latex file:
> >
> > \includegraphics{../whatever.jpg}
> >
> > and  I run latex2html on the file, the HTML  files always inlude an absolute
> > path to the jpg images?  I'd prefer to copy them to the HTML folder and that
> > there be a relative path to the images.
>
> Sure. You could use conditional code, such as:
>
> %begin{latexonly}
>  \includegraphics{../whatever.jpg}
> %end{latexonly}
> \begin{htmlonly}
>  \htmladdimg{<path>/whatever.jpg}
> \end{htmlonly}
>
> where <path> is appropriate to wherever you put the .jpg files.
>
> The point is that \includegraphics  will cause the images to be
> reprocessed, via whatever method your LaTeX installation uses
> to process .jpg files into PostScript, then  use Ghostscript
> to make a new bitmap  version. This can easily lead to loss of
> quality, --- unnecessarily, since the HTML could have linked
> directly to the .jpg instead. Hence the conditional code to
> allow alternative handling according to the processor.
>

> > (I will likely automate it by writing a small script)  but if anyone knows of a
> > means to configure latex2html to do this that'd be great!  Look forward to any
> > comments.  Ciao,
>
> Hope this helps,
>
>         Ross
>

> > Chris Forbes

> > > A relative path must be relative to where the HTML page is located.
> > > Hence, you probably want:
> > >    \htmladdimg{../gif/button.gif}

> > > This may work for you, on the local machine,
> > > but is no good to anyone looking at your pages from the Web.
> > > Instead you must use a URL to your machine.
> > >
> > > On the other hand, if you Web pages are to be distributed via CDROM, say,
> > > then the local filename might be better.
> > > However, I'd advise using relative paths wherever possible.

> > > Hope this helps,
> > >
> > >         Ross Moore

> [Attachment, skipping...]

--------------2AFC5F45B46123AC56E9E7A4

begin:vcard
n:Forbes;Christopher
tel;cell:32 (0)496/41.26.70
tel;fax:32 (0)16/31.00.29
tel;work:32 (0)16/31.00.20
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.acunia.com
org:ACUNIA;Research & Development
adr:;;Vanden Tymplestraat 35;Leuven;;B-3000;Belgium
version:2.1
email;internet:chris.forbes@acunia.com
note:www.acunia.com
x-mozilla-cpt:;-21536