[l2h] image generation errors

Seth McGinnis / Beemer sethmc@turcotte.colorado.edu
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 21:07:18 -0600

I installed latex2html version 2k.1beta to convert my doctoral
dissertation, and I have discovered an issue with the image
generation.

Invoking the program as:

latex2html -noinfo -image_type gif -white -auto_navigation
-no_footnode -split 4 -contents thesis.html thesis.tex,

it generates everything properly except for the inline images (math
equations and the like).  (I don't think this is a version issue;
other versions of latex2html wouldn't make the images either.)  I
tracked this down to the -margins and -geometry flags that get passed
to pstoimg.  The values those flags get are bad, so it renders a blank
window of the postscript, then crops that to nothing and fails on
later crop commands.  I commented out line 4177 (I think) of
latex2html and it works fine.

Now, I'm not sure that this is a full-fledged bug; on the one hand, it
doesn't work out of the box on my thesis, but on the other hand, the
margins on my thesis are weird.  It uses the "thesis.cls" document
class which is provided by the university, because they're very picky
about formatting.  It may be that it's unreasonable to expect
latex2html to figure out what to do with my file given that it has a
home-grown classfile.

However, since the only effect of -margins and -geometry passed to
pstoimg is to decrease the size of the intermediate files that are
processed, may I suggest / request that there should be an option to
disable them?  Then, if you have trouble with inlined equations, you
can try "-nowindow_equation_rendering" or some such and see if it
fixes the problems -- and I'd bet that for many users it would.

If anyone has suggestions on how to *really* solve the problem, I'd be
happy to hear them; my hack created functional html, but some of the
baselines don't line up correctly, so here and there the line spacing
is off.  It's plenty readable, but a little ugly.  (This may be
unavoidable with html, I realize.)

Please cc any follow-ups to my email address; I'm not subscribed to
the latex2html mailing list.

	--Seth McGinnis
	  sethmc@turcotte.colorado.edu