[l2h] Suggesting SVG-format for expression images

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 21:59:54 -0400 (EDT)

Ross Moore writes:
 > Yes, of course. Being an Adobe format it is most likely based on
 > PostScript or PDF. For LaTeX2HTML, that means that the methods

  I'm not terribly familliar with it, but the syntax is XML.  The
specification is a collaborative effort running under the auspices of
the W3C, but Adobe is definately a mover for this.  I'm not sure how
close the imaging model is to the PostScript model.  Adobe does have a
plugin for inline rendering of SVG for some browsers, but I don't
think it's available for Unix flavors or MacOS, and I've no idea what
their future plans are off-hand.
  I'm also not sure what it buys us.  For math support, I'd expect
MathML to be a better target.  I don't know what the deployment for
that is looking like, though I understand Amaya and Mozilla have at
least some support for it.  All the serious limitations I've
considered problematic with the current LaTeX2HTML are related to not
being able to translate math to something that can be displayed
without images (which never look right, because images of content
never look right).

 > I see no point in implementing it for LaTeX2HTML, except as an
 > academic exercise, until it has a large acceptance within Web
 > browsers on all platforms.

  I'm inclined to agree.

  -Fred

--