[l2h] Suggesting SVG-format for expression images

Bruce Miller bruce.miller@nist.gov
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 22:04:17 -0400

Ross Moore wrote:
> Given that PostScript output is generated first, there should be no need
> for any  raster to vector  conversion.

While PostScript is "scalable", it's not "vector".
While I dont know much about SVG, I had heard that it had very limited
support for fonts,  so it doesn't seem like a good candidate to
replace l2h's graphics _in_general_.  Certainly, _some_ graphics
that currently end up as bitmaps would be perfect for it.

Of course, I'd have to add: As long as we're dreaming about would-be
markup languages to be generated by l2h, there's an obvious choice
for the graphics that wouldn't be handled by SVG ....

--
Bruce Miller