[l2h] Suggesting SVG-format for expression images

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:03:13 +1000 (EST)

> Hello
>
> As an alternative to GIF-image to bring mathematical expressions to
> the WWW, wouldn't SVG-format be a candidate. Because it is scalable,
> it will give good prints.

This is a good suggestion.
To implement it, we need availability of tools to both read and write
the format.

Does Netpbm have a  pnmtosvg  tool ?

There has to be a Perl procedure to extract the image size from
an SVG file. This should be a simple task for someone familiar
with the format.

> SVG information is available here:
>
> Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) 1.0 Specification
> W3C Candidate Recommendation 02 November 2000
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/
>
> Web-browser plug-ins is presently available for Windows and MacOS.
> Unfortunately not for *nix:

Hmm; that's definitely a drawback.
It cuts down the audience for your web-pages.
Hopefully it's just a temporary thing for the major browsers.

> Adobe Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG)
> http://www.adobe.com/svg/

All the best,

	Ross Moore