[l2h] [Q] spawning l2h from cgi-bin (second problem)

Jean-Pierre.Chretien Jean-Pierre.Chretien" <Jean-Pierre.Chretien@cert.fr
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:21:55 +0100 (MET)

>>From: Carl David <CHADM1@UCONNVM.UCONN.EDU>
>>To: latex2html@tug.org
>>Subject: [l2h] [Q] spawning l2h from cgi-bin (second problem)
>>Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 09:52:21 EST
>>
>>I've succeeded in spawning l2h from a cgi-bin perl program, but
>>there seems to be memory issues. I can't see what memory is available,
>>and how much the spawned process will take, nor can i see what other
>>processes I could halt/suspend/cancel in order to free up sufficient
>>memory to get this to work. The Sun I'm running says it has 32M of
>>memory, a Sparc 5 (ancient).
>>Do I have to move to a bigger computer?
>>Thanks for the help.
>>Carl David

AFAIR, l2h/perl uses dynamic allocation, so that the memory
required depends upon the converted latex stuff (I've been up to 600Mo
on a big document with direct Unix exec),
the amount of swap apce is important as well, but of course
it will slow l2h and every other process if it begins to swap.

With intranet service, seems difficult to halt/suspend/cancel other processes,
how do you know which ones are more vital than l2h ?

32 Mo seems a bit thin, here I use 6Mo per httpd client on a 256 Mo
server.

You could try to Spawn a l2h translation an monitor the memory space used
every second e.g, with a little script including a wait loop.

Regards

--
Jean-Pierre