[l2h] Question about section numbers for external references

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 09:30:18 +1100 (EST)

> Hi there,
>
> I'm relatively new to latex and I've come across a problem that hopefully
> someone can help me out with.
> I'm a Technical Writer responsible for producing documentation in pdf and
> html formats for one of our branches of software. I need to link across
> different subdirectories using a successful method for both pdf and html
> formats.
>
> The xr-hyper package took care of everything for the pdf, and I can get
> links to work using the \externallabels and \externalref commands by
> clicking on them for html.
>
> Local links, however, are set up to list the section number. I can't for the
> life of me figure out why the local references defined with \ref have
> section numbers, while the external references defined with \externalref do
> not.

\externalref links to a remote document.
There is no reason to suppose that the document was prepared to be a section
of the current document, or that it's numbering is somehow consistent
with the current document. So the \externalref command does not make any
use of numbering; the file read by \externallabels does not contain such
information.

> Any help with this issue would be a life-saver!

On the other hand, if you *have* created the remote document to be part
of the current document, but just processed separately, then you are
in the situation of a *Segmented Document* ; see the LaTeX2HTML manual:

	http://www-texdev.ics.mq.edu.au/l2h/docs/manual/Hnode11_mn.html

For this, there are commands  \segment  and  \internal  which handle
coordination of section-numbering and cross-referencing between the
different pieces of the overall document.

This is quite a complicated structure, but no more so than is absolutely
necessary to allow the various segments to be processed separately,
but still result in a collection of web-pages that give the appearance
of being one fully integrated document.

Indeed, the manual above is processed in precisely this way.
The Makefile and LaTeX source for the segments should have been
included as part of your LaTeX2HTML distribution.