[l2h] dynamic sectioning depth?

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 10:31:04 +1000 (EST)

> I'm wondering if it is possible to control the sectioning depth
> dynamically from within a latex document, _without_ using
> segmentation?

Yes. In priciple this is indeed possible.
As I haven't had occasion to do this much, I cannot say what
hidden pitfalls may emerge; e.g. in terms of navigation
and table-of-contents, etc.

The Perl variable that governs when a section starts a new page
is  $MAX_SPLIT_DEPTH , which is normally set as a global
parameter, early in the processing.

However it *is* safe to alter this during the course of the
main translation, using:

   \HTMLsetenv{MAX_SPLIT_DEPTH}{<num>}
or as
   \HTMLset{MAX_SPLIT_DEPTH}{<num>}

where <num> denotes the shallowest sectioning level that is
*not* to start a new HTML page.
See the LaTeX2HTML manual for the integer values of <num>.

The new value will be effective from the *next* sectioning
command, and should stay in effect until the end of the
document, or until altered again.

Experiment with it, show examples on this list,
and report any problems that you may find.

It may be worth defining some commands in  html.sty
to make using this technique easier.
However I would not wish to do this until the problems
have been adequately resrearch and suitable fixes found.

All the best,