[l2h] greetings

cabney cabney@cyberpass.net
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 13:37:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Yesterday I downloaded and installed latex2html on my computer. I'm messing
around with graph theory (and lots of remedial math) and needed a way to
order my thoughts in browsable format.

This is some very nice software, I love it!

It needs some refactoring though, and I want to know if anyone would mind
if I took a swing at it.  I'm new to TeX, but a pretty sure hand at Perl.

I've already seen some stuff I'd like to do:

	* I think there might have been a big change in the way pnmcrop works,
	  because I was able to remove a big chunk of code from pstoimg based
	  on a discrepency between pnmcrops function and its implementation
	  in pstoimg.pin;

	  very roughly, this:
	  	my $crop_cmd = "$PNMCROP < $in | $PNMCROP -black -s"
		print "trying $crop_cmd, now\n" if $opt{debug};
		do_cmd ( $in, $tmp, $crop_cmd ) || return 0;

	  can replace the existing code;
	  	(er I won't burden you with around 50 lines of code, it's the
		 central while loop constructing pstoimg's pnmcrop command,
	     passing it to gs, and a couple lines above that, as well.)

	  It's not necessary to nibble away at the edges using crop, you
	  can just tell it what color you don't like and the -s flag
	  handles the rest.  I'm not sure if older versions of netpbm
	  had substantially different command line interfaces though,
	  in which case some version checks would need to be included.
	  That's not a problem, the netpbm people keep the old versions
	  available.

	* General code cleanup (I think I see at least two different stylistic
	  approaches in the code and some refactoring and pretty printing
	  might help with maintenance.)

	* Several different methods of accessing data in files.  I think
	  that could be cleaned up very easily, using the IO objects.

	* Total freakin rewrite. OOPs. Did I say that?  I just think a
	  lot of this code would look real good in its own module, in a
	  class by itself, so to say. Abstracting the functionality of
	  pstoimg & brethren into an image manipulation class would make
	  maintenance a lot simpler, too.

	* Error Handling. Mostly pretty cool except most of the posts
	  I saw in the mailing list were gs 'Illegal Seek' and other
	  arcane gobbledygeek. Carp (or even Coy if you think Carp
	  smells), the IO objects and stricter error checking would
	  help users to know what to post and developers tired of poking
	  through -debug output.

	* I'm bored.  I've been on vacation too long and I want something
	  nifty to work on.  Trying to grok graph theory and reconcile it
	  to principles in molbio got me on this visual kick (& Knuth
	  is da bomb.)

That's it, except to say again I think latex2html is a very nice program.

CA
--
There was a time
A wind that blew so young