[l2h] question about ~\ref{} conversion

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 04:46:12 +1000 (EST)

> > That's because your browser doesn't have an easy way to show these characters inline.
> > Not until there is proper Unicode support in browsers, with adequate fonts
> > to match, is this a reasonable proposition.
> >
> > Just in case you *do* have such support, then try:
> >
> > latex2html -html_version 3.2,math,unicode -nomath -entities  <filename>.tex
> >
> > or
> >
> > latex2html -html_version 3.2,math,unicode,utf8  -nomath -entities  <filename>.tex
>
> Thanks, these options are interesting, they do vary the result a bit but
> not quite what I wanted. The thing is that if I specify -ascii_mode, my
> browser properly displays all the pi, lambda, rho, and other symbols just
> fine in the text (i'm using an SGI, which does have good unicode support
> in netscape). The ONLY problem with that conversion (other than that the
> complicated equations don't come out very well, which I'm willing to live
> with) is that when I have Fig~\ref{name} in the text, it just prints "Fig"
> without the number. In all the other latex2html modes, it puts a hyperlink
> there. I'd by happy if it either put the ascii number in that place or put
> a hyperlink.
>
> So, i went to more full-featured conversion modes, which do fine with the
> Figure references but put little pictures of lambda and pi symbols in my
> text. This just ends up messing up the line spacing. So you see what I

If it's just the line-spacing that you are worried about,
then that can be controlled from the CSS stylesheet.

This is a short example where the technique is used:

http://www-texdev.mpce.mq.edu.au/LWC/sampleMath-40styled/

The stylesheet itself is in that subdirectory,
 called  :  sampleAMS.css

In the subdirectories of  http://www-texdev.mpce.mq.edu.au/LWC/
you'll find examples of other math modes, using the same
original LaTeX source.

> want is a sort of combination between the -ascii_mode and the full
> graphics mode. What I want is possible in each mode individually, but I
> can't get the two things I want to happen at the same time.
>
> Thanks for the help. I understand the exact solution I want may not be
> possible right now.

It probably is, but there are many different technologies
that need to be combined.

Hope this helps,

	Ross