[l2h] How do I use an EPS in PDF and HTML?

Werner Arnhold warnhold@zedat.fu-berlin.de
Mon, 02 Apr 2001 13:01:21 +0200

Dave Cole wrote:

> Herman> On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> >>  > > \usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
> >>  > > \usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}
> >>
> >> Is there a way to get things to work with both pdftex and dvips
> >> without changing the document?  I want to be able to use both
> >> without changing the document.
>
> Herman> Just don't use these options :-) And if you say
>
> Herman> \includegraphics{myfile}
>
> Cool - that does work.
>
> Herman> Then DocBook is a good option! It is less complex than LaTeX,
> Herman> and copes with the problem you mention: all Linux
> Herman> documentation (on linuxdoc.org) is now standardized on
> Herman> DocBook!
>
> I did fiddle a bit with DocBook some time ago - I wrote some online
> help for a Gnome program (which I also wrote).  DocBook is no picnic
> either.

I tried it too. I used the sgmltools package. I gave it up because of
several reasons:

  - the package was no longer maintained because Kees de Groot got a
good job and had no
    more time for it.
  - the paper output (postscript) was, even though produced via TeX much
worse than it
    could be,
  - the way of handling special objects like math formulas is not
compareable with TeX
  - for 10 lines of information you have to write 3-5 lines of tags. I'm
hacking very
    quickly but this is nothing for someone who is slow in typing and
really impossible
    for wysiwig fans,
  - l2h does the same thing and the result is better. At the moment I
would reconcider
    using DocBook when 1) the markup is more flexible and more easy to
extend and 2) if
    I have a free DocBook/SGML-Editor. On behalf of markup TeX is simply
better!

Werner
--
Werner Arnhold