[latex2html] Error (home): Cannot expand other user's home directory

Steve Mayer mayer@dial.pipex.com
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 18:43:50 -0000

> Well, I just spent 2 hours installing and configuring
> ghostscript, ghostview, activeperl and netpgm on my
> windows machine. After solving several minor problems I
> finally managed to install latex2html. Everything looks
> fine now, but everytime I run latex2html on a .tex file
> it stops and echoes the following message:
>
>  Error (home): Cannot expand other user's home directory
>  at C:\PROGRA~1\LOCALT~1\LATEX2~1\BIN/latex2html.bat
> line 213

I am guessing but it could be that the problem is with the name of the
directory that you've installed latex2html into. This directory has spaces
in it, which in Dos get changed to names including ~.

My experience with tex programs in Windows is that there can be problems if
you don't stick to directory and file names that abide by the old Dos 8.3
rules.

My suggestion is that, failing a better solution, you reinstall latex2html
to c:\l2h or (as Luis Seidel suggests in
http://www.mayer.dial.pipex.com/l2h.htm) to c:\texutils\l2h.

> Well, I just spent 2 hours installing and configuring
Which is why I am reluctant to suggest re-installation but it may be
necessary unless someone else comes up with a better idea.

Steve Mayer