[latex2html] Re: [l2h] Shading/highlighting around text

Ross Moore Ross Moore <ross@ics.mq.edu.au>
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 09:02:13 +1100 (EST)

> How does one highlight the area around text?
>
> Pure LaTeX with \usepackage[dvips]{color} does this for postscript with
>    \colorbox{red}{A red shaded box}
> But in latex2html, "\colorbox" does no highlighting, rather it makes the text
> blink.
>

> I am particularly interested in highlighting headings in a tabular
> environment; eg
> highlighting the following words,
>      Description  Location  Organization
>      -----------  --------  ------------

Since this is an issue of visual appearance, rather than
of content, the W3C recommended way would be to use a rule
in a CSS stylesheet.

LaTeX2HTML always creates a file  <jobname>.css which you can edit
to add/change style rules for specific hierarchies of tags.

> For this, html code might have a separate entry for each word; eg,
> I have seen the following within a table on html pages,
>     <TH BGCOLOR#ccffff>Description</TH>

You could add a rule to the .css  file:

TH	{ background-color: #ccffff }

I find it easiest to edit the .css file, experimenting with the colors,
borders, margins etc. until the page looks right.
Then you can get LaTeX2HTML to generate those style-rules,
using \htmlsetstyle commands, if you think that it is desirable
to have the styles recorded inside your document source.

However, LaTeX2HTML does *not* overwrite the existing style-sheet with
this new information. You should delete the .css file first (keeping a copy under
another name), then on the next run, LaTeX2HTML will generate a fresh .css file
including the new information.

> I appreciate any suggestions, even kludges, though I don't want to spend
> time altering the html that latex2html outputs.

Precisely; that is why CSS is a good solution.