[l2h] Re: html.sty

Greg Gamble Greg Gamble <gregg@csee.uq.edu.au>
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 10:34:14 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, David Smead wrote:
> I'm using RH6.0 and LaTeX2HTML98.1:

I found LaTeX2HTML98.1 unusable (too buggy) but was able to use
LaTeX2HTML98.1p1 quite happily. If you really have LaTeX2HTML98.1
you should replace it with LaTeX2HTML98.1p1 or try one of the new
99.2 versions.

> I've tried putting html.sty in just about every directory that has a .sty
> in it, but LaTeX still doesn't find it.  Is there some sort of
> configuration I need to run?  It works in the local directory, of course.

Your LaTeX is probably from some variant of teTeX-0.9 (maybe even a
later version?), in which case you need to:

  1) Put html.sty in a texmf tree that teTeX can `see'
     ... preferably texmf.local
     ... you can symbolically link the file into the tree (if you prefer)
     (Make sure that that tree is listed in the texmf.cnf
     ... to find texmf.cnf do:   kpsewhich texmf.cnf
     ... there are comments in that file that should help you
     ... also do:  texdoc tds       for more info.)
  2) Then do (as root):    mktexlsr
     ... this updates the (La)TeX database
  3) Check that LaTeX can find html.sty with: kpsewhich html.sty

If those 3 steps are as clear as mud, do a: texconfig confall
and send me the output ... and I'll see if I can set you straight.

> On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Robert Williams wrote:
> > latex2html-98.1p1:
> > redhat-6.0
> >
> > I'm getting this error message when
> > running "make manual.dvi"
> >
> > Undefined control sequence.
> > l.680 \HTMLcode

The file html.sty in the same directory as the manual in the
LaTeX2HTML98.1p1 distribution is an *old* version that does
not define \HTMLcode ... *delete* it and replace with the one in
the texinputs directory (same distribution). It should identify
itself with the following as top two lines:

%
% $Id: html.sty,v 1.23 1998/02/26 10:32:24 latex2html Exp $

Of course, if you have put html.sty where LaTeX can find it,
as per above, then there is no need to have a copy in the manual
directory.

  Regards,
  Greg Gamble
Greg Gamble   __________________        mailto:gregg@csee.uq.edu.au
Centre for Discrete Mathematics & Computing    Tel: +61-7 336 52425
Department of Computer Science                 Fax: +61-7 336 54999
      & Electrical Engineering     http://www.csee.uq.edu.au/~gregg
The University of Queensland, Queensland 4072 AUSTRALIA