[l2h] numbering of subsections

Ross MOORE Ross MOORE <ross@ics.mq.edu.au>
Mon, 10 May 1999 20:25:35 +1000 (EST)

> Hi all,
>
> my latex document starts with section 20. When I call
>
> latex2html -show_section_numbers <file>.tex
>
> the translator only converts the section number coorectly into
> "20". The result looks like
>
> 20. section
> 1. subsection
> 2. subsection
> 1. subsubsection
> 2. subsubsection
> 3. subsection
>
> instead of the required
> 20. section
> 20.1. subsection
> 20.2. subsection
> 20.2.1. subsubsection
> 20.2.2. subsubsection
> 20.3. subsection

The seminar.perl implementation was a contribution;
it was not written by any of the main developers.
So I can only apologise for any short-comings.

> How can I obtain the required results? See below parts of my coding.

You can get the behaviour that you want by including
the following code in the preamble of your document:

\begin{htmlonly}
\renewcommand{\thesubsection}{\arabic{section}.\arabic{subsection}}
\renewcommand{\thesubsubsection}{\thesubsection.\arabic{subsubsection}}
\end{htmlonly}

Note that you could leave out the {htmlonly} environment,
since this is perfectly valid code for LaTeX as well.

Similarly, if you wish to use styles other than \arabic,
then you must leave out the {htmlonly} environment.

Don't forget to run LaTeX on the document first,
so that LaTeX2HTML can read its .aux file.