[l2h] Confused about Unicode support

Alan J. Flavell Alan J. Flavell" <flavell@a5.ph.gla.ac.uk
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 20:28:13 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Mariusz Pietrzak wrote:

> so again they are &#<latin2_code>

Oh dear

> and are not displayed correctly
> (tested with
> Netscape, Opera and hm... explorer). I have no way of checking it now,
> but I
> still think that those should be Unicode numbers (regardles selected
> charset),

You're absolutely correct, they should be.  Let me confirm that
charset=iso-8859-2 refers to the coding of 8-bit characters, and has
nothing to do with the values appearing in &#number; references, which
are always unicode (of which, as you know, positions 0-255 are
identical to iso-8859-1).

[It's a fact that in some older browser versions, it was possible to
give an impression of working in iso-8859-2 by writing &#number;
values below 256 and switching the browser to a Latin-2 font; but this
was only a kludge, and was never in agreement with published HTML
specifications.]

best regards