[l2h] Re: Tables

Marek Rouchal DAT CAD HW Tel 25849 Marek Rouchal DAT CAD HW Tel 25849 <marek.rouchal@hl.siemens.de>
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 09:50:39 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999, Joerg Broeker wrote:

> By "bad" I mean it does not *look* like in the postscript version of
> the document...

This is - as far as I can see - a limitation of HTML: it is not possible
to mimic stuff like {l|ccc} in HTML, so a simple table with BORDER=1 is
used. This is bad, but at the moment I do not see any feasible method to
emulate the borders appropriately.

> > (Note: This is a 2 rows x 3 columns table, right?)
>
> Depends, from the "logic" point of view you are right, but my Latex Book
> (Latex by Helmut Kopka, Addison-Wesly, sorry german only) says thats the
> way to do a table with a row with two lines in that row.
>
> In HTML I get 2 rows with one line each, which is not the result I want.

Ok, then you maybe want a \parbox or a \minipage as the table element. I
don't know whether LaTeX allows for this - anyone?

> > No, because LaTeX2HTML translates the logic behind the LaTeX commands into
> > the logic of HTML, and in this case a HTML table with 2 rows and two
> > columns is produced.
>
> In Latex "logic" there is a difference between row and row ;-) - A
> "logical" row is ended with "\\" a "optical" row is ended with "\hline".
> In HTML the "logical" and the "optical" row are identical, a row is
> always ended with "</TR>".

Again, there is no simple solution to map the "|" in the tabular
definition and the \hline to HTML table boxes. Any proposals how to do
that are welcome! Your suggestion to use \hline as the delimiter for HTML
rows is a first start. This would mean that we simply would keep a stack
for each column and push LaTeX row by row to it until a \hline
follows. Should be possible.

> > The look can be controlled by customized style sheets. There is no point
> > in "optimizing" the look at such a level. And it is definitely *not*
> > simple to implement!
>
> Another stupid question: How can I do that?

By looking at the latex2html script and editing the code for the tabular
environment. :-)

Hope this helps!

Happy Xmas,

Marek