[gentium] LGR: Missing ligature s-boundarychar

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 11:09:03 CEST 2019

Hi Mojca, Thomas,

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 7:43 AM Thomas A. Schmitz
<thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de> wrote:
> indeed, this is ancient history. I had to look up what I was doing ten
> years ago. I found this paragraph in the documentation: 'The original
> Greek encoding for LaTeX took care of the letter sigma: when it occurred
> at the end of a word, it would automatically be transformed into a final
> sigma c . After some hesitation, I decided not to follow this approach:
> there are too many cases where users might want a “normal” sigma even in
> front of a space or a punctuation mark. In order to obtain a final
> sigma, type “c.”'

Interesting. Which documentation is that? I can't find it in
http://mirrors.ctan.org/fonts/gentium-tug/doc/gentium.pdf.

> So I don't know who added the ligatures with
> punctuation commands (I didn't), but the lack of the boundary char is as
> intended.

The history of gentium-lgr.lig at
http://svn.gnu.org.ua/viewvc/gentium/trunk/gentium/source/fonts/gentium-tug/lig/gentium-lgr.lig?revision=4&view=markup
does not reveal anything either. I find it odd, though, that this file
does contain
LIGKERN commands not only for punctuation but also for boundary char. No idea
why that did not make it into the TFMs.

> On 7/2/19 10:59 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> > The author of that file is no longer using 8-bit encodings.
> > Are you perhaps able to figure out the patch and test it? I'm not even
> > sure what boundarychar is.

I can have a look what might be the reason here. Of course, in the end somebody
has to decide what ligatures should be in the font.

cheerio
ralf