[fptex] Installing bin-pdftex-1.20a-win32-static.zip?

Fabrice Popineau Fabrice.Popineau at supelec.fr
Sun Nov 21 15:37:08 CET 2004

> I'm obviously doing something wrong in updating my pdftex-related
> files.  I've unzipped into my TeXLive structure and run fmtutil --all.
> [the bin\win32-static directory is _first_ in my path, before
> bin\win32 .]  But pdflatex.efmt and others are not regenerated and
> hence, pdflatex --version still gives pdfeTeX (Web2c 7.5.2)
> 3.141592-1.11b-2.1.

The version number you get from the '--option' is not stored in the
format file, but in the executable.

The zip you were talking about holds only pdftex.exe/pdfetex.exe . If
you want to get a new pdflatex.exe, you need to copy
bin/win32-static/pdfetex.exe to bin/win32-static/pdflatex.exe and run
fmtutil or possibly the command :

fmtutil --byfmt=pdflatex --dolinks --force

will do it.

Fabrice