[fptex] Problem with psutils (psbook, psnup...)

Wolfgang Fleischer W.Fleischer at erlenweg.de
Thu Mar 11 17:40:30 CET 2004

Hello
When using psutils from fpTeX/TeX Collection I was faced with a
problem as follows:
For my document I do
  latex mydoc
  dvips mydoc
  type mydoc.ps | psbook | psnup -2 -pa4 > forprint.ps
to produce a booklet on an postscript laser printer with duplex
option. But it doesn't work correctly. So I asked some
experts in printing and postscript. The advice is simple: go to
the very beginning of the file forprint.ps, search for the lines

"/setpagedevice {pop}bind 1 index where{dup wcheck{3 1 roll put}",
" {pop def}ifelse}{def}ifelse",

and delete them. Indeed the document prints fine. The two lines above
are part of the source of psutils - file psspec.c.

I decided to change an recompile psutils. I did it successfully for
linux. But I am not able to manage it for windows. So I would ask
around for help here.

With regards

Wolfgang Fleischer
W.Fleischer at Erlenweg.De