[fptex] pdftricks

Michael Hallgren m.hallgren at free.fr
Wed Jun 11 14:40:41 CEST 2003

> > It looks like pdftricks is attempting to touch into a hardcoded /tmp
> > directory (that happens to be around on UNIX systems):
>
> > \def\tmpfile{/tmp/w18-test-\the\year\the\month\the\day\the\time}
> > \immediate\write18{touch \tmpfile}
>
> Well, this is awful...

Yup :)

> > Is there someplace a Windows version around? (I'm constrained to use
> > Windows in part of my working environment.)
>
> So, an awful solution is to create a \tmp directory in your current
> drive.

Well, I did the other way around: modified the pdftricks.sty file:

\def\tmpfile{/TEMP/w18-test-\the\year\the\month\the\day\the\time}
\immediate\write18{touch \tmpfile}

so, equally ugly (or worse?:) using a Windows standard (?) temp directory.

Now, this helps us a tiny bit on our way, 'cause:

system(touch /TEMP/w18-test-2003611809)...executed.

Package pdftricks Warning: ****************************************
(pdftricks)                Using \write 18 capability
(pdftricks)                for producing PDF-figures.
(pdftricks)                ****************************************.

However, problems remain:

) Opening PDFStream=tricks-fig1.texThis is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2c
7.3.7x)
\write18 enabled.
rm: tricks-fig1.dvi: No such file or directory
rm: tricks-fig1.eps: No such file or directory

(pdftricks)                Some PDF files of images were not found.
(pdftricks)                Run the script `pst2pdf' before the next
(pdftricks)                run of pdfLaTeX

Appears the "background processing" is messing up..

mh