[fptex] HOME variable

Fabrice Popineau Fabrice.Popineau at supelec.fr
Thu Dec 18 12:02:20 CET 2003

> Hello, I had many problems with fptex install under Windows XP : I
> tried a great number of installations and there was a problem with
> texsetup.exe wich sometines didn't finish the installation or the
> uninstallation, even with the last version of fptex (full downloaded
> from internet the 12.12.2003).  Now it works and my fptex is ok except
> some little problems of fonts (see next mail).  I'm not sure of my
> idea but it seems to work since I removed the variable HOME wich was
> in my environment (it was set HOME=%USERPROFILE%). It seems to me that
> texsetup sometimes saved and tried to read the setup log file in
> different places (sometines in c:\documents and settings\.... and
> sometines in texmf-var directory). Is it possible that a I'm right ?

TeXSetup has 3 modes : install, maintenance and uninstall.
If you add a package, you are in maintenance mode.

The setup.log file is created in %TEMP% if you install in 'single user'
mode or in $VARTEXMF if you install as an admin for every body.

You need to be a 'power user' or 'administrator' to be able to install
for every body.

I don't know if it makes things a bit more clear but
 I would appreciate to get the log files of the problems.

Next version will use an MSI installer. I hope that it will solve all
those problems.

Fabrice