[fptex] Re: fpTeX updating problem under Windows 2000

George N. White III aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Tue Dec 16 17:01:03 CET 2003

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Fabrice Popineau wrote:

> > Dear Fabrice, I was happy to hear about the lately resolved bugs, but
> > when I tried to update my installation (according to the instructions
> > @ http://www.fptex.org/upgrade.html), I faced a strange problem in
> > step 4:
>
> > The tree with uninstalled/installed packages is completely missing
> > (see the attached picture -- ``ClipBoard-1.jpg''), so I can't select
> > anything for further installing/updating.
>
> > Any ideas how to cope with this situation (without uninstalling the
> > previous version, if possible)? The previous updating procedure (about
> > a month ago) worked fine for me...
>
> Im stuck for the moment. What is strange is that the scrollbar tends to
> prove that things (packages) are there, but invisible ! I have not
> changed anything wrt to 1 month ago, so I wonder what could result in
> such a display problem ...
>
> Was your machine under particular heavy load when you ran into this
> problem ?

I just encountered this again while trying to update a Win95 machine.
The system resources were down to 0.  I rebooted and tried again, but
using the CAMS CTAN mirror.  It downloaded the tpm.zip, but
it skipped the step where you select packages and went right to where
it makes the ls-R files.  I tried again and the same thing for several
iterations until the machine crashed.  After rebooting it seems to be
working properly using the default site -- it is currently downloading
the updates.

--
George N. White III  <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>
  Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada