[fptex] environment variables

Frans Goddijn frans@goddijn.com
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 18:07:20 +0100

> Where shold I put my own packages so that LaTeX can find it.

I recently had the very same question and a friend advised me this:

- copy all files/dirs that you want to have in your own texinput directory
into the tex-mf tree. The root of that tree is defined in texmf.cnf
  That might be something like c:\fptex\texmf
  So you put your files in c:\fptex\texmf\tex\myfiles\
- In texmf.cnf you add "myfiles" as follows:
  TEXINPUTS.latex = .;$TEXMF/tex/{myfiles,latex,generic,}//
- Then run mktexlsr or texhash and you're all set

In practice that worked and today I even refined it a bit, making my own
texmf homedir on c:\MyTeXLive\ where I also put my own directories for
texmf.cnf, fomats, font info and context files (the relative location of
these directories exactly as they are in the default texmf trees). So next
time I update c:\TeXLive this won't change a thing in c:\MyTeXLive and
subdirs.

Good luck!

Frans
www.goddijn.com