[fptex] Re: texlive on WinXP (not an answer)

Lars Madsen daleif@imf.au.dk
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 21:13:44 +0200 (METDST)

>    1. texlive on XP (Phil Cohen)
>
> --__--__--
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:43:03 -0500
> To: fptex@tug.org
> From: Phil Cohen <cohen@ece.umn.edu>
> Subject: [fptex] texlive on XP
>
> I have installed texlive 0.5 on an Win XP machine.  It works but I am not
> able to add packages to texmf-local.  Packages can be added to, for
> example, texmf\tex\latex.
>
>  From a command line, kpsewhich article.cls gives a location.  kpsewhich
> newpackage.sty does not for newpackage.sty in texmf-local.
>
> rebuilding the database puts a file ls-R that contains the package name in
> texmf-local
>
> I cannot find a file named texmf.cnf, but there is one named texmf.cnf.orig
>  .  I don't know WinXP well.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Phil

Just for the record I have the exact same problem on my WinXP installation
(TeXLive 6)

the only place that works for systemwide use of packages is installation
in texmf\tex\latex.

And the texmf.cnf file is missing.

/daleif

PS. hopefully better in TL 7