[fptex] Novell, NT and Dviwin

Dr. W. Fleischer fleischr@dagur.mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 15:56:27 +0200

On Tuesday 25 June 2002 13:44, you wrote:
> In my department we use fptex installed on a Novell server,
> and we have workstations running NT 4.0.
>
> We have the following problem when working
> on a Novell drive (but not on a local drive):
> When windvi is displaying the file 'foo.dvi'
> and I try to run  'latex foo'  then I get the
> error message
> "I can't write on file 'foo.dvi' ".
> Then you have to exit latex, exit windvi,
> and then restart latex.
>
> Since it only happens on Novell drives, I suppose
> that the problem is that Novell thinks that when
> windvi is looking at 'foo.dvi', then the file
> should remain locked.
>
> I have no idea what to do about it, so I hope that
> someone out there might help.
>

> Jørgen

OK, we went into that problem some time ago. Unfortunately we
could not figure out the exact source of the problem. It happens
from time to time and depends on the load on the network. Our
boxes run Win98SE and Novell 4.1.

We did not watch the problem after updating to the latest novell
client and  fptex 0.5 or newer. At the moment we prepare
Netware 6 Servers (pure IP) and Texlive 7 (program and user data
on the network) and can't see any problems.

W. Fleischer
Faculty of mathematics
Mathematical Computing Centre
TU Chemnitz