[fptex] Installing fptex

Hillas, John j.hillas@auckland.ac.nz
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 09:59:51 +1200

I've installed fptex and TeXLive a few times over the
last few months and have come up a number of times
against a problem that I haven't seen reference to
anywhere else.  (Though I haven't read every bit of
the documentation.)

Since the new version seems so close to going out this
might be a case of better never than this late.  If so,
sorry.

On all the machines I've installed on Windows (2000 and
98) has assigned files with the extension .cnf to the
speeddial type, whatever that is.  I found that if I didn't
remove this type before installing that tex did not find the
configuration files that use this extension.  I think that
on one occasion I tried to remove the type after installation
and did not successfully get a working version.  (I say think,
because after uninstalling and reinstalling it occurred to me
that perhaps all I needed was another reboot.)

Is this a known behaviour, or is there something special about
how Windows has been set up here?  Would more detailed
investigation of what was going wrong for me be useful.
(I am reasonably happy for my use to simply try to remember to
check that I've deleted this file type before installing.)

John

John Hillas
Department of Economics
The University of Auckland