[fptex] install of 0.5

Fabrice Popineau Fabrice.Popineau@supelec.fr
Thu, 07 Feb 2002 20:57:55 +0100

* ALAN A DUNWELL <ALAN> writes:

> -I notice that it looks like I need to install the runtime visual
> C++ parts with VC6RedistSetup.exe, yes for Win98? When I tried to do
> this it asked me where I wanted to put the files. I can find no
> information on this in the readme file or the Knowledge Base
> article. should I just dump them in c:\windows\system?

Some temporary directory. It will un pack files, then you will need to
run vc6resdist.exe (no 'setup' part). I have left it this way because
of the copyright.

> - I am doing a network installation of fpTeX. Is this
> VC6RedistSetup.exe necessary for each workstation that does
> subsequent workstation installs?

Well, actually, it could work without it I guess. If you have any
recent version of Internet Explorer (5.x is ok), then no need to worry
about this.

> - I already have fpTeX 0.4b1 installed on the net. The network
> install information was a tad sketchy in the Help out of
> TeXSetup.exe. Can I make a copy of my existing 0.4b1 and do the 0.5
> install overtop or should I make a clean new install and then move
> files for localtex and similar installed additional packages? Are
> there additional network installation instructions somewhere that
> I'm overlooking?

I would rename the 0.4 bin/ and texmf/ directories, then do the
installation. This way you can always backup if needed.

ALl you need for the clients is to ensure that bin/win32 in the
users PATH and TEXMFCNF is set for eveybody.

Fabrice